HOOKED

|

I've been the worst blogger lately. Life has been crazy, in a good way. I've been very busy, but I haven't forgotten about my pledge to go veg. In fact, I don't think there's any turning back at this point. I'm hooked. I haven't had meat for about a month and I feel great. There's been no shortage of delicious things to eat, my digestive system has never been more efficient, and I've even lost a couple pounds.

The best part is that I don't miss meat at all. Well, mostly. There was one night last week when I made some homemade tomato sauce and mushroom gnocchi (yum!). I cooked up some Italian sausage for my husband to go with it. Italian sausage is what I always thought I would miss the most, and I was right. It smelled so delicious, but I resisted, thanks in part to my supportive husband. He has actually helped me several times along the way. (**Sidenote: My husband hasn't decided to go veg yet, but has drastically cut his meat intake. Although there are a few things in our freezer that he is using up (italian sausage for example), once those things are gone we won't be cooking meat in our home anymore.)

I have tried to commit to a vegetarian diet a couple times before. This time has been much easier and I think the secret was the gradual transition. I cut out beef first, then pork, then chicken. I haven't made a firm commitment to cut out fish yet, but that's not something that I eat very often either. I made the changes that I wanted to make, without guilting myself into it or depriving myself of anything. If you're trying to make it work for you, those are my suggestions.

Tonight I'm making my favorite Mexican dish, chile relleno. I'm using some anaheim chiles from our garden and I'll be mixing and matching these two recipes:

Poblano Chile Rellenos (Macheesmo)

Chile Rellenos Con Queso (The People's Guide to Mexico)

I'll let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

booshy said...

I've never made chile relleno - is it good? My husband LOVES Mexican food...and I think he's getting tired of tacos.

Andrew and Ariel said...

Thanks for posting about the food co-op! I heard about it here, and got my first share this weekend. And here's another blog you might be interested in if you haven't heard of it: http://www.progressivepioneer.com/

Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

klepJax said...

I've gone veggie too, for about a year now. discovered that I could cook with increasing amounts of imagination and taste experiences, wow. Not so easy at first but getting better.
I researched some more and found out that my body cannot take nightshade vegetables, that is tomato and potato, very hard to digest, experienced some hot flashes also.
Last but not least I found that home grown veggies and herbs are by far the best. Good luck to you!!!